Print this sheet, and follow along with the demonstration on the clinic video. PDF Version.
Coaching points: On all ball handling drills remind players to keep their heads and eyes up. Stay in a stance. “Do not give up your stance”.
1. Pound the ball -Right/Left Hand 2. V-dribble -Short and Long both hands 3. Crossover Dribble -“Cross” 4. Windshield Wiper-Right/Left hand -Front and Side -1 or 2 balls 5. 2 dribble Cup- Right/Left hand 2 dribbles. Slap ball to cup ball in triple threat. 6. 2-dribble Cross - Pound the Ball/Cross 7. 2 ball Dribble-Pound/alternate/windshield wiper/v-dribble 8. Power Dribble- Right/Left Hand 9. Ball Wrap-Around one or both legs -10 reps each -Waist and knees. 10. Figure Eight-Between legs without dribble -10 reps each 11. Spider- Keep ball between legs and switch hands back & forth -10 reps 12. Blurr - Around right leg/left leg. Figure eight using the shortest possible dribbles. Dribble FAST! 13. Down on right knee-Keep dribble 14. Sit down- Keep dribble 15. Up to left knee- Keep dribble 16. Cross- Dribble twice with right hand/Cross/dribble twice left hand/Cross - Repeat.
Full Court Dribbling Progression:
1. Cross- Creeping -Chairs with a Cross -1 or 2 balls 2. Two ball dribble-Down the court in zig-zag 3. Speed Dribble 4. High Knee dribble 5. Three Dribble Cross-full court 6. Three Dribble Double Cross-full court 7. Three Dribble windshield wiper- full court 8. Power Dribble/Power Glide 9. Speed to ½ court/Power 2nd half–Right/Left 10.Speed with stride stops-pound ball 11.Backing up-speed/stride stop/back/speed (whistle forward/back) 12.Speed/stride stop/back up (whistle stop/go) 13. Hard Stutter-Change of pace 14.Hard Stutter/Cross 15.Hard Stutter/Double Cross 16.Inside Out-Windshield wiper off dribble 17.Stride/Back/Cross -Push the ball with opposite hand zig/zag
1. Foot position - Ball between ankles – Right handed- right foot slightly forward. 2. Left handed- left foot slightly forward. 3. Hand Position - Make a T (Check Hand position) Shooting hand thumb is the cross at the top of the T 4. Shooting Position - Lock it in 5. Shoot - Hold the follow through (Get non-shooting hand off of the ball) 6. Emphasize shooting with one hand! 7. Practice at basket at close range. 8. Slowly increase range. When they go back to old habits, they need to move closer to the basket! 9. Discourage shooting at 10’ hoops until 4th or 5th grade.
1. One hand-5 swishes close to the basket 2. One hand-5 swishes middle of key 3. One hand-5 swishes from free throw 4. Two hands-5 swishes from free throw 5. Spin out-5 swishes from head of 3 point key 6. Spin out-5 swishes from each wing 7. Spin out-Pump left from left wing (crossover) Make 10 8. Spin out-Pump right from left wing (open) Make 10 9. Repeat 7-8 from the right wing 10. Make 10 mixed shots from each wing 11. Make 10 free throws in a row
1. Power Lay-up from a speed Dribble. 2. Progress 3. Footwork drills with or without a ball. One-count/Forward Pivots/Reverse Pivots 4. Dribble Tag 5. High Skips with no ball can progress to learning how to jump off one foot for a lay-in 6. Sweep and attack. See the “Cone Drills & Ball Handling” video below. 7. 1 on 1 work 8. 2-line Passing using shot fakes or pass fakes. Short hop as you catch ball: a. Pump fake/step right/pass right (no bounce) b. Pump fake/step left/pass left (no bounce) c. Pump fake/step right/bounce pass right d. Pump fake/step left/bounce pass left e. Fake left/Cross/Pass right f. Fake right/Cross/Pass left 9. Drop step Power Moves 10. Transition Drill
Note: some videos will be preceded by an ad.
Start at 22:30 of the video below.
Cone Drills & Ball Handling Video Guide
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.